3DogArt Blog


Joyful Stories ~ Wagging Tails ~ Doggie Wisdom

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A DOGMA DAILY ORIGINAL STORY

The Squirrel Highway
By Ruby the Dog
Translated by Donna Hayden

There is a highway running through my yard. This is not the noisy, screechy, smelly Newport Blvd. that is only two blocks from my house. This is an ancient highway, made of smells, tall trees, block wall fences and roofs. This highway, “The Squirrel Highway” smells of almond tree blossoms, pine cones, bird feeders, cat feet and other smelly things. No mom, the birds did not have a chance to get any bird seed. I tried to tell you, the squirrels ate it all.


This highway sounds like furry hellions running to battle. The high frequency squeals and chirps of the squirrels are a call to battle to dogs. No call to battle should destroy the joy of eating a treat, cuddling with my human … but this unearthly sound, worse than the screams of cat fights, undoes me. I must bolt through the dog door, regardless of weather, day or night. Well, they don’t run around at night, so it’s just day. Oh, woe is Ruby.

They run in pairs, they run alone. They jump from fence to pine tree to roof to almond tree to fences. They eat in the trees and their nut and fruit pieces fall on me and my roommate Annie, the Golden Retreiver. I have had avocado skin fall right in my eye! My mom said the flat roof on our house looks like a squirrel cafeteria.

I’m a good dog but I can’t stop running like the wild animal I am when teased and taunted by rodents. Ha, ha…that’s what they are. I’m a lover, not a fighter. What would Buddha do? Buddha would laugh at the squirrels and I will too.

2 comments:

Hey Buddy said...

Yeahhh, Ruby! Hey Buddy AGREES with you!

3DogArt.com said...

Thank you Buddy. Right On! Perhaps you would like to share your Duck on the Blue Backyard Lake story. My mom told me you have a big water thing in your yard and things swim on it. I see the ocean every week. There are lots of people on boards that stand up and lay down and pelicans that are huge. Want to see it with me?